Sunday, August 26, 2007

Village Peeps

Holy my moly, was I so excited when Joe asked if Colette and I would be interested in seeing his Peace Corp village and family. We decided to make a day of it and drove an hour or so south of Lilongwe.

We parked just outside of the village and walked in. I thought it important to take a photo of me as we set out.
Although not shining through in this photo, Joe's family was quite happy to see him.
They invited us into their home to talk and catch up. This was especially interesting for Colette and me who still have some work to do in terms of our command and comprehension of Chichewa.
As we were sitting there, more and more people crowded around the house. I took a picture through the small window as I nodded and smiled (not having any clue what was being talked about).
After a while, Joe's family invited us on a walk to check out a village forestry project. I thought, "Oh that will be nice to go for a little walk, see some trees". Right, this was no small walk and after about 10 minutes we had to forge a stream. Good thing I'm so steady on my feet.
Okay, that's a complete lie--I did a terrible job crossing this stream and fell in on the way back. Anyway, let's move on.

As we continued on what turned out to be an hour or so hike, Colette and I grew a bit concerned--where are these said trees?
This kid didn't seem concerned.
Anyway, we had to turn around a bit early to get back to Lilongwe. I took the below (albeit, cliche) photo of our send off party.
All in all it was a great little village visit and I'm looking forward to seeing some more rural areas through work.

Not to end on a sad note, but Joe headed back to the States last week. This leaves me a bit concerned as I stay alone in my mansion house. See, Joe and I had quite the security system--see guns below.
These things happen and rumors are I'll have a new roommate soon--check back, details coming. We out.

4 comments:

PH said...

It looks like you're having a great time! Glad it's all working out for you. Love the blog - hope you keep it up.

Just in case you were wondering, you're not missing anything at DOE. Trust me.

Cheers!

Unknown said...

hey emily, nice pork tenderloins.

Unknown said...

We know all the diseases in that stream!!!! (these are being posted by ESM and dad-btw)

Madinga said...

They say that in Africa before someone tells you a distance to a place (the trees), they first look at your face. If they think you can only take 10 minutes of walking then they will say 10 minutes. Then after 10 minutes when you ask the next person you meet where the trees are they will also look and determine 'ah, she can only take another 15 minutes' so he will tell you just that. And the story goes on.