Sunday, July 15, 2007

Pancake face

Boy, do I have a lot to write about Malawi today. Let me begin with pancakes. This morning Anne left our little home to head back to South Africa, but before going she made pancakes.
And not just for me--we had friends over (yesss)
That's Kate and Amy, and in the middle is my newest friend John. He's from Australia and we met last weekend at the Lake. Then when I was walking to the market to buy a bike yesterday (more on that soon), I ran into him again (on his bike).

So back to pancakes. I was in charge of fruit salad and syrup--see:
And, I ate all of my pancakes--check it.
Then as Anne was leaving, we took one last photo of the four of us:
Can you see the pancakes in my stomach? I was wicked full.

Signing off for now but I promise there's a good blog coming up. Sneak previews: I got a bike and it's red; Lilongwe's market rules (O-wee-no); long overdue America's birthday.

8 comments:

Centris said...

Nice looking pancakes. Plus I like to see that you are using real maple syrup, but that is not exactly eating local.

Anyway there is something about the breakfast I really don't appreciate. Can you guess what it is, Hughes?

heather c said...

Glad to see you arrived in Malawi safe and sound...even if I had to hunt down your blog from KZ...

Is there a place in the world where you CAN'T stroll in and make yourself at home?!? It's absolutely remarkable...

Looking forward to coming for a visit sometime!! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Shh, just so the hipsters don't turn their noses up at you and roll their eyes, one-gear bikes are called "fixies" (spelling? Not sure). Use it in the next blog about your bike.

PS. We're heading into another heat wave, (90 degrees plus with wicked humidity) and my apartment has no A/C at the moment. I think Benji hates me and will attack me while I sleep . . .

Centris said...

Yeah you got it Hughes, margarine, GROSS! I guess that is the kind of sacrifice you have to make living in a developing economy. It sounds horrible.

Hey Martindale are you reading this blog? Is your guess there yet, have you tried the Martindale?

Emily said...

dave, first you throw me a zinger about not eating local with the vt syrup, then when i eat the local margerine, you're all up in my grill again. i think you should eat nothing but what's made in detroit, you know, like cars.

Centris said...

then when i eat the local margerine, you're all up in my grill again.

There are no cows is Malawi? But there are local oil-hydrogenating factories?

Emily said...

yes, no cows, just factories and progress.